The season for enjoying lunches in the open air has FINALLY arrived and this black rice shrimp salad with a simple vinaigraitte dressing is going to be the perfect, quick-to-make, tasty dish to bring to picnics and BBQs!
And not only that, should you have any leftover, you can bring it into work for lunch breaks too (like I did last time I made it), so my advice is make a bigger batch and save some for your weekly meal prepping 😉
Black rice is a whole grain type of rice, which makes it richer in vitamins, minerals and fibers than white rice. It has been a recent discovery for me, but it has quickly become a favourite of mine and my boyfriend D.! And now that the warm weather has finally made it here to northern Italy, we will definitely be having maaany colorful and tasty rice salads.
As per package istructions, it took exactly 40 minutes to cook in boiling water (the only “downside” of whole grain rice really), but the upside is that in the meantime you can get ready all the other ingredients for the dressing, as in cut all the fresh produce you want to add, quickly cook the shrimps and prepare a simple vinaigrette dressing for the salad. These are my favourite kind of recipes, where you can optimize time and energy. Laziness in the kitchen anyone? *rises hands and feet too*
So, I hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know what are your favourite veggies for fresh cold salads! 🙂
Happy picnics and BBQs everyone! Ciao!
Picnic-perfect Black Rice Shrimp & Veggies Salad
- 1 cup black rice 250 gr
- 1 cup ca. shelled shrimps
- bell pepper / cherry tomatoes / spring onion / other veggies
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp (apple cider) vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- cook the black rice in salted, boiling water (40 minutes)
- in a pan add 2 tbsp of olive oil, the crushed garlic cloves, sauté the shrimps and add the parsley
- chop the veggies in small pieces
- once the rice is cooked, drain it and rinse it with cold water
- prepare the vinaigrette dressing mixing 3 tbsp of olive oil, the lemon juice, the vinegar, the mustard and salt & pepper to taste
- in a bowl mix the rice, shrimps, veggies and vinaigrette
- add more parsley to taste