- medium size potatoes
- cashew cream cheese (my quick recipe here) or melting non-dairy cheese
- vegan butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Ready in: 30-40 minutes
Today’s post rather than a recipe is an idea for a last minute meal, using what you have in the fridge and pantry.
In fact this is a dinner I put together the other night after getting home from work.
I opened the fridge, contemplating for a moment its content, you know, when you’re so tired you find yourself staring at things forgetting what you are even doing there.
But then I realized I had some cashew cheese sauce left, a piece of red onion and a tomato, begging to be used or they would soon leave the fridge on their own.
So I obliged, deciding to add a couple potatoes to the situation. Yes I know carbs are bad in the evening, but sometimes you just need them. Pretty badly.
Here’s how I put my dinner together:
- thoroughly wash the potatoes leaving their skin on, poke them all over a few times with a fork and microwave them for 7 minutes at 700w. If you don’t have a microwave, you can boil them
- pre-heat your oven at 200° C / 390 F
- coat the potatoes with a thin layer of seed oil and a pinch of salt then lay them on a baking sheet and put them into the oven for 20 minutes, until the skin will be gold and crispy
- in the meantime add a tablespoon of seed oil to a pan and add the sliced onion, letting it caramelize at medium/low heat for a good 20 minutes, stirring them from time to time
- once the potatoes are baked (as in when the fork goes in smoothly), get them out of the oven, make a cut into them, either to open them in half or “cross-like”
- now add a teaspoon of vegan butter and just stare at it while it melts. Such a heartwarming moment in our life
- On top I added my homemade cashew sauce just like that, but you can add non-dairy cheese and put them back in the oven for a few minutes untill the cheese melts
- then add the caramelized onion, chopped tomato and a sprinkle of parsley for good measure.
Now dig into this scrumptious, yet super easy crispy, loaded baked potatoes, much deserved after your long busy day. But any other day too, really.
As always, I'd LOVE to know if you have given my recipe a try and what you think of it 🙂