These gluten free peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips are such a satisfying treat! Not only are these cookies deliciously chewy and packed with rich, nutty flavor, they also are dairy and egg free! Just a handful of simple ingredients and you will whip up a batch of these irresistible vegan cookies in no time!
I promise you are going to LOVE these gluten free chocolate chip peanut butter cookies! They are:
- soft and chewy
- fully vegan, they are dairy free and eggless too
- refined sugar free, as they are sweetened with maple syrup
- oil free, natural peanut butter is what adds the fat part in the recipe
- they keep fresh and soft for days!
Making gluten free vegan cookies with peanut butter and chocolate chips has never been easier. You will need:
a homemade mix of white rice flour, almond flour/meal and gluten free starch as a the dry ingredient base.
Natural peanut butter, a butter/spread made with (roasted) peanuts only, no salt, oils or other flavors/ingredients.
Pinch of salt, not mandatory, but it definitely enhances the flavors, especially the chocolate.
Maple syrup, so you will also have refined sugar free lemon cookies!
A gluten free, vegan milk of your choice, you can use soy, rice or a nutty flavored one too. Oat milk is ok too, make sure it is labeled gluten free.
Your very favorite gluten free vegan chocolate chips and/or roughly chopped chocolate bar (I love to use a mix of both!)
Full recipe is in the card below
Grab a bowl, a spoon and a hand mixer, these vegan and gluten-free peanut butter cookies will be ready to bake in 10 minutes!
- In a bowl add soft peanut butter, vegan milk and maple syrup and mix using a hand mixer, until ingredients are combined (texture should look a bit "crumbly")
- add flours, starch, baking powder and salt, this time incorporating everything with a spoon (you can use a hand mixer too, but somehow with a spoon it gets less messy)
- incorporate the chocolate chips/chunks
- use a tablespoon or an icecream scoop to portion the dough and roll it into balls
- place them a couple inch apart on a baking tray, add a couple chocolate chips/chunk on every cookie and lightly flatten the cookies (make them as thick as you like)
- bake for ca. 20 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly brown (lift one cookie carefully when checking the bottom)
- let them cool at least 15 miutes before removing them from the baking tray, so they won't break
Tips and substitutions
A few questions and needs for substitutions that may come up about these gluten free peanut butter choc chip cookies!
As you may see from the step image, I use a thick peanut butter. It is creamy, as it has no nut chunks, but it doesn't have a sauce-like consistency. Should you have a more runny peanut butter, you will probably need to add some rice flour to thicken the batter.
I haven't experimented yet, but I am pretty sure you can easily make these cookies using a thick almond or cashew butter.
Absolutely you can make these gluten free peanut butter cookies without chocolate chips and the cookie texture will be the same.
These cookies do not "melt" and spread while baking, so if you want them thinner you will need to press/spread them more on the baking tray before baking and keep a close eye that they do not burn, as they will cook faster.
What I love about these gluten free vegan peanut butter cookies is that they keep soft for DAYS! Simply store them in an airtight container or a zip bag.
Also, during the warm season I prefer to keep them in the fridge (especially if you add the chocolate chips).
Baking in grams
I cook and bake in grams as they are more accurate (than cups) when measuring ingredients. This is especially important when it comes to gluten free and vegan recipes.
Also, I weigh both dry and wet ingredients in grams and most of the time I share one- or two-bowl recipes, to make everything easier for you.
A simple affordable kitchen scale is definitely a useful and worthy investment for your gluten free cooking.
So you will simply need to place the bowl on the scale and weigh ingredients as you go!
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here! And a 5 star rating if you have loved it would help me grow the blog 😉
For all the updates, follow me on Facebook and Pinterest and tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
📖 Full Recipe
Gluten free Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips (Vegan)
- 1 bowl
- 1 spoon
- 1 hand mixer
- 1 ice cream scoop (optional)
- 1 baking tray
- 1 kitchen scale
- 50 grams (⅓ CUP) white rice flour, gluten free
- 50 grams (½ CUP) almond flour/meal, gluten free
- 50 grams (⅓ CUP) potato or other gluten free starch
- 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt (ca. ⅛ teaspoon)
- 2.5 tablespoon maple syrup
- 130 grams (½ CUP + 2 tbsp) gluten free vegan milk (soy, rice, nut)
- 120 grams (½ CUP) natural peanut butter
- 100 grams (½ CUP) dairy free chocolate chips (or a mix of chips and chopped chocolate bar) + extra to top the cookies before baking
- Pre-heat oven at 320 F / 160 F
- In a bowl add peanut butter, vegan milk and maple syrup and mix using a hand mixer, until ingredients are combined (texture should look a bit "crumbly")
- Add flours, starch, baking powder and salt, this time incorporating everything with a spoon (you can use a hand mixer too, but somehow with a spoon it gets less messy)
- Incorporate the chocolate chips/chunks
- Use a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop to portion the dough and roll it into balls
- Place the dough balls a couple inch apart on a baking tray, add a couple chocolate chips/chunks on every cookie and lightly flatten the cookies, gently pressing wity your hand (make them as thick as you like)
- Bake for ca. 20 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly brown (lift one cookie carefully when checking the bottom)
- Let them cool at least 15 miutes before removing them from the baking tray, so they won't break
- Store them in an airtight container or zip bag. In warm season, if adding chocolate chips, keep in the fridge or a cool place.