These gluten free lemon cookies are not only vegan but also packed with deliciousness! They are soft and flaky, flavorful and citrus-y, a simple, scrumptious gluten free snack!
If you love citrus-y treats, you can't miss this lemon loaf cake with coconut frosting and this gluten free vegan key lime pie!
I make these cookies pretty much every week, they are so simple to whip together, you will have your vegan lemon cookies out of the oven in half an hour!
And not only they are gluten-free, but also without butter, eggs and buttermilk.
Here are the simple ingredients for this gluten free lemon cookies recipe.
White rice flour, almond flour/meal and potato starch as a the dry ingredient base.
Grated lemon zest and juice to add that lovely natural citrus flavor
Pinch of salt, this is necessary to enhance the sweetness and flavors.
Maple syrup, so you will also have refined sugar free lemon cookies!
Vegan margarine, which will give that delicious butter-y texture to these cookies.
I like to dust them with powdered sugar, but you can omit it and enjoy them as they are of course.
Here's how to make gluten free lemon cookies from scratch.
- in a medium bowl add margarine, maple syrup and lemon juice and mix with a hand mixer until creamy
- add rice flour, almond flour, starch, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix either with a hand mixer or simply incorporating all the ingredients with a spoon, until you have a soft crumbly dough
- portion the dough with an ice-cream scoop or simply a tablespoon and place them on a baking tray, a couple inches apart
- press them with your hand to flatten them, shape them round if necessary
- bake them for 20 minutes ca. until the bottom is lightly golden brown
Baking in grams
I cook and bake in grams as they are more accurate (than cups) when measuring ingredients. This is especially important when it comes to gluten free and vegan recipes.
Also, I weigh both dry and wet ingredients in grams and most of the time I share one- or two-bowl recipes, to make everything easier for you.
A simple affordable kitchen scale is definitely a useful and worthy investment for your gluten free cooking.
So you will simply need to place the bowl on the scale and weigh ingredients as you go!
Making these gluten egg dairy free cookies with almond flour is easy and quick, we love to enjoy them with tea or milk in the morning, or as a snack.
More gluten free cookies ideas? Check these out!
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here! And a 5 star rating if you have loved it would help me grow the blog 😉
For all the updates, follow me on Facebook and Pinterest and tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
📖 Full Recipe
Soft Flaky Gluten free Lemon Cookies (Vegan)
- 1 bowl
- 1 hand mixer
- 1 spoon
- 1 baking tray
- 1 ice-cream scoop or measuring tablespoon
- 1 kitchen scale
- 80 grams (½ CUP) gluten free fine white rice flour
- 50 grams (½ CUP) almond flour or blanched almond meal
- 50 grams (⅓ CUP) potato or other gluten free starch
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt
- grated zest of half lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 70 grams (4 tbsp) vegan margarine
- 30 grams (3 tbsp) maple syrup
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Pre-heat oven at 160° C / 320 F
- In a medium bowl add margarine, maple syrup and lemon juice and mix with a hand mixer until creamy
- Add rice flour, almond flour, starch, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix either with a hand mixer or simply incorporate all the ingredients with a spoon, until you have a soft crumbly dough
- Portion the dough with an ice-cream scoop or simply a tablespoon and place the cookies on a baking tray, a couple inches apart
- Press them with your hand to flatten them, shape them round if necessary or desired
- Bake them for 20 minutes ca., or until the bottom side is lightly golden brown
- Before removing from the baking tray, let the cookies cool down completely or they will break
- If desired, dust with powdered sugar
- Store them in airtight container to keep them soft and flaky.