These gluten free vegan raisin fritters are so soft inside and the right amount of crunchy outside, that you won’t be able to stop eating them!
The batter is ready in five minutes and you will only need few ingredients and just a couple of naturally gluten free flours, as in white rice flour and starch.
Just a couple of notes before I leave you to the recipe!
Plant-based yogurt: which one is best and why
I suggest to use plain plant-based yogurt, without any flavouring, like vanilla, or fruit or else. In my experience the only flavoured one that works well in this recipe is lemon yogurt.
Soy yogurt would be the best option, as soy proteins do a better job at replacing the egg, but coconut or rice yogurt are ok too.
Should you want to use oat yogurt, please make sure it is certified gluten-free.
When you start frying, start with just one (tea)spoonful of batter.
If the fritter gets quickly dark, it means the oil is too hot, it will burn the outside and leave the inside uncooked.
In this case, lower the heat, wait a minute and try again with another ball of batter.
For the best results, fritters need to take a few minutes to become nice and golden.
In Italy we usually make these fritters for Carnival, in February and I thought I’d make them in a gluten free vegan version too so that everyone can enjoy them 🙂 And not only in February of course!
I really hope you will make these fritters!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me if you make this or any of my recipes!
Gluten free Vegan Soft Raisin Fritters
- 100 gr Gluten free white rice flour
- 50 gr Potato starch (or other gluten free starch)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar *
- 1 tsp baking soda *
- 100 gr gluten free, plant based plain yogurt
- 30 gr seed oil
- 2 tbsp limoncello or rum (can be replaced with plant based milk)
- 2 handful raisin
- seed oil for frying
- in a bowl mix rice flour, starch, sugar, salt, cream of tartar + baking soda (or replace them with baking powder) and whisk well
- add the plain plant-based yogurt, seed oil and limoncello or rum (you can replace the liqueur with gluten free plant based milk)
- mix well until you have a smooth batter
- add a couple handfuls of raisin and incorporate them into the batter
- let the batter rest for 10 minutes
- add at least a couple inches of seed oil in a small and tall sauce pan and let it heat up over medium heat. Insert a toothpick in the oil and if tiny bubbles appear, it’s ready to fry
- with two teaspoons form small batter balls and drop them into the oil
- make 3-4 at a time so that they don’t stick, let them cook a few seconds then turn them around until they are nice and golden
- as they are ready, put them on a plate covered with kitchen paper
- once you’ve fried all the batter, move the fritters to a bowl and coat them with caster or powdered sugar
- serve still warm!