These gluten free savory herb fritters are vegan and yeast free too. And also nice soft and crispy.
So simple and quick to whip together, the batter is ready for frying in just a few minutes!
These gluten free savory herb fritters are just the perfect idea for an aperitif at home, we enjoy them with a good Aperol Spritz and a bunch of these chickpea sticks.
We don’t fry often, but now and then it’s good for the soul 😉
One of the things I love most about these savory gluten free fritters is that they need few simple ingredients:
- gluten free white rice flour
- potato or other gluten free starch, for extra softness
- salt, it is obviously optional, but adviced for flavor
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, or 1 teaspoon cream of tartar + 1 teaspoon baking soda
- unflavoured gluten free plant-based yogurt (best if soy), it works as a binder and makes these vegan fritters soft
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, I usually opt for sage, rosemary, parsley, chives
- seed oil for frying
See card below for full recipe
Tips and subsitutions
No, the batter for these gluten free vegan fritters is too soft to be baked.
So, yes, for the correct result you can only fry them and it's best if you serve them still warm and crunchy.
If any is left (and I underline IF), you can keep them in an airtight container and warm them up before eating them, so they will be nice and soft again
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here! And a 5 star rating if you have loved it would help me grow the blog 😉
For all the updates, follow me on Facebook and Pinterest and tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
📖 Full Recipe
Savoury Herbs Ball Fritters | Gluten free * Vegan
- 100 grams gluten free white rice flour
- 50 grams potato or other gluten free starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (non flavored) *or 1 teaspoon cream of tartar + 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 grams unflavoured gluten free plant-based yogurt (best if soy)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, sage, rosemary, parsley, chives
- seed oil for frying
- in a bowl combine rice flour, starch, salt, baking powder and mix well
- add the plant based yogurt and mix with a spoon until you get a semi-soft batter
- if dry ingredients don’t incorporate well with the yogurt, add a couple tablespoon of water and mix again
- divide the batter into as many parts as the herbs you want to flavour them with
- finely slice a few leaves of your favorite herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, chive etc) and add them to the batters, or you can simply add a mix of them to the whole batter
- let the batter rest for 15 minutes
- add a couple inches of seed oil to a small deep sauce pan and heat it over medium heat (it’s ready when you insert a toothpick and the oil makes tiny bubbles around it)
- fry the batter one teaspoon at a time
- start with one teaspoon of batter to check if the oil is at the right temperature: if the fritter gets brown quickly, the oil is too hot. Slightly low the heat, wait a minute and try again
- fry and flip the fritters around until they are nice and golden (it should take 2-3 minutes)
- place them in a plate over kitchen paper to absorb oil in excess
- once you’re finished frying, sprinkle them with salt and serve them freshly made and still warm