After being a bit MIA lately, here I am again with a savory recipe and since a rustic pie with homemade gluten free crust had been on my to-do list for a loooooong time, I thought that autumn was just the right time to experiment with it, as the weather gets colder and it calls for comforting, hearty food.
For the pie crust, I opted for wholemeal brown millet flour, which I've already experimented with and I especially love in savory baked recipes, as it has a nice rustic taste. Also, millet flour is rich in minerals and antioxidants, so it's a more healthy and nutritious gluten free alternative to the usual rice flour, for instance.
I love the veggies in season now. I've never been much of a pumpkin fan until a couple years ago, now I basically NEED to have at least one slice of pumpkin in my fridge all the time, to cook with pasta, soups and now pies too, that is.
And so I decided to go with it, add some sliced portobello mushrooms and red onion, sautee them a few minutes and add the mix on top of the creamy filling, which I've made using my easy go-to cashew sauce, but you can substitute it with a plant-based "cream cheese" as well.
I came up with this recipe also thinking about the upcoming holidays and hoping to help all the food-sensitive people out there, like my sweetheart and I, to have a tasty, comforting dish during the holidays gatherings 🙂
So let me know if you give this veggie pie a try and what you think of it!
📖 Full Recipe
Rustic Veggie Pie | Gluten free * Vegan
For the crust
- 200 gr gluten free wholemeal brown millet flour
- 100 gr gluten free potato starch (or other gf starch)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 9 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 120 gr margarine / vegan butter
For the filling
- 200 gr plant-based gluten free "cream cheese" or creamy cashew sauce (you can find the link to my recipe up in the post)
- sliced pumpkin
- sliced portobello mushrooms
- red onion
- salt, pepper, olive oil, ground rosemary
- Mix the flaxseed and water and let rest a few minutes
- For the crust: in a bowl mix all the dry ingredients first, then add the flaxseed gel and the margarine / vegan butter, start mixing with a spoon and as soon as big crumbles start to form, start kneading with your hand until you get a compact, firm dough. Shape it into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge
- In the meantime, slice the pumpkin, the portobello mushrooms and the red onion into thin pieces and sautee them a few minutes in a cooking pan with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and a sprinkle of ground rosemary
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 F / 180° C
- Take the crust dough out of the fridge, keep ¼ of the dough for the decoration, put the rest in a non sticking / greased baking pan and spread it by pushing it with your hands and with the help of the bottom of a mug/glass, until it is all even at the bottom and has half an inch border.
- Fill the crust with the plant-based creamy "cheese" or with my cashew creamy sauce (you can find the link to the recipe up in the post) and cover it with the sauteed veggies.
- Use the remaining pie dough to decorate as you like 🙂 and then bake for 25-30 minutes
- Let it cool down a bit before slicing it 🙂