I love tarts. And that’s all, folks! Bye!
Ok, ok, kidding I’m still here, fact is tarts are so good and so versatile, you can top them with jam, spreads, fruit or you can make them savory and top them with creamy cheese and all the veggies you want!
Here on the blog you can find my go-to gluten free tart crust, chocolate tarts (here and here), a gingerbread tart and in fact a savory veggie tart too, they’re all gluten free and vegan, but I’ve been often asked if the margarine in them could be replaced with oil, so I’ve finally come up with a vegan gluten free oil tart crust recipe, without margarine or vegan butter!
I paired it with cherry jam and frozen berries on top, SO freaking good!
And when I nonchalantly put this gluten free oil tart on the table for my sweetheart, I silently watched him get one slice, savour it, then go for a second slice and say “this is really good!” and as I confessed it was a new recipe, margarine-free , he goggled at me, knowing all too well how hard it is to make gluten free flours stick together without eggs, margarine or butter.
He has seen me throw in the bin more than one dough and offered to taste – test more than one questionable gluten free dish, that is.
But this gluten free oil tart crust is some kind of miracle to me! Just oil and plant based milk and you get a lovely dough that once baked is so tasty, comforting and will melt in your mouth.
You’re gonna love it, promise! You can also make smaller tarts with this dough, top them with fruit and cream and serve them to friends and family. Everyone will love them!
As always I’d love to know if you try the recipe and I’m super curious to know what you are going to top this tart crust with!
And if you make it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @sweetsensitivefree and I will proudly feature your photo on my IG stories!
Watch the video of this recipe!
Vegan Gluten free Oil Tart Crust
- 100 gr gluten free almond meal
- 100 gr gluten free potato (or other) starch
- 120 gr gluten free brown rice flour
- 1 tsp cream of tart
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 70 gr brown sugar
- grated zest of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- 80 gr gluten free rice milk (or other gf plant based milk)
- 40 gr sunflower seed oil
- 2 tbsp rum, limoncello or other gluten free liqueur
- In a bowl mix well all the dry ingredients, then add the plant-based milk, the oil and the liqueur and mix with a spoon until you get a solid dough
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap and let it rest in the freezer for at least one hour
- Pre-heat the oven at 320 F / 160 C and take the dough out of the freezer
- Place the dough directly on a greased / non sticking pan and spread it with your hands and the help of the bottom of a class/cup, making a half inch high border
- Spread the jam on top and if you have any excess dough left, crumble it on top
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and once out of the oven let it cool down before slicing it. Enjoy!