Autumn is coming! And considering the super hot summer we’ve had here in northern Italy, I think it is the first time I am actually this glad that Fall is just around the corner.
I’m definitely ready for cool air and in the mood for cozy, comforting days at home.
And speaking of cozy and comforting, I’m back with a very special sweet recipe for you: gluten free vegan apple cinnamon rolls!
Oh my, are these GOOD.
They’re filled with a super simple apple cinnamon compote, which makes them softer and so much tastier.
We’ve been having these gluten free cinnamon rolls for breakfast, as dessert and mid afternoon too.
What’s very important is that you serve/eat them warm. If you’re not serving them right out of the oven, re-heat them a couple minutes before having them and don’t hesitate to drop a spoonful of vanilla ice-cream on top!
So, if you’re ready for all the Fall vibes, keep scrolling for the recipe and enjoy! 😉
Apple Filled Cinnamon Rolls | Gluten free Vegan
For the dough
- 120 gr gluten free white rice flour
- 50 gr glunte free brown rice flour
- 150 gr gluten free potato (or other gluten free) starch
- 60 gr brown sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 130 gr soy-based lemon yogurt (or plain yogurt + grated zest of a lemon)
- 50 gr gluten free, plant based milk
- 50 gr (sunflower) seed oil
For the apple compote
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
For the glaze
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- plant based milk
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients: flours, starch, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and mix well (you can also blend them a couple of minutes if you want)
- In another bowl whisk well together the yogurt, the milk and the oil
- Add the liquid part to the dry ingredients and mix everything with a spoon first, than with you hands, squeezing all the ingredients together, then kneading the dough until it's compact and uniform
- Place it in a bowl, cover it and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In the meantime cut the apples into small pieces and in a pan mix them with the sugar (optional) and the cinnamon powder, cooking at low/medium heat untile the apple is very soft
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C / 350 F
- Put the dough between two big pieces of parchment paper and roll the dough out into a rectangle, half centimeter thick
- Remove the top piece of the parchment paper, spread the apple compote all over the rolled out dough, then slowly and carefully roll it up along the longer side (use the bottom piece of parchment paper to help you roll the dough)
- With a thin knife cut the roll into rolls of the same size and place them on a greased baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Once out of the oven, prepare the glaze mixing the sugar, the cinnamon poweder and add the plant-based milk one teaspoon at a time untile you have a not to thick glaze, that you will pour over the cinnamon rolls before serving
- Serve these gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls warm. You can add vanilla ice-cream and chopped almonds on top too