September. And the scent of cinnamon & apples is such an instant comfort, keeping us good company in the first crisp days of Autumn, while the trees slowly turn their leaves into beautiful warm colors.
So romantic, uh? Too much … maybe? I don’t know, I’m not responsible for what I just wrote there, blame it on these soft gluten free apple cake donuts and the scent they filled my home with!
All I know is that as soon as I took them out of the oven, the end of summer felt less hard to accept.
I let the donuts cool down a little, so that removing them from the molds was easier, I made myself a cup of tea and sat down to enjoy a peaceful afternoon break. Aaahh! Just perfect.
I have experimented with a few different batters for these gluten free apple donuts but this one makes me especially happy, because it’s very soft on the inside and using both apple juice and apple sauce as a binder allows you to use less sugar too, so it’s a win win!
For a more decadent version I’ve covered a couple of them in a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon powder, others with a simple icing and some ground almonds on top. These ones are my absolute favourite! You get the softness of the donut, the sweetness of the apple pieces and the crunch of the almonds! Ain’t that a match made in heaven?!
I hope you will give this donuts a try and let me know what you think!
If you love all the things apple and cinnamon, you may also like my recipe for this moist gluten free apple cake loaf!
And stay tuned because I have more comforting, scrumptious desserts coming up in the following weeks!
Apple Cake Donuts | Gluten free - Vegan
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) gluten free brown rice flour
- 1.4 oz (40 gr) gluten free potato (or other) starch
- 1.7 oz (50 gr) brown sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Grated zest of half a lemon
- 1 apple
- 0.6 oz (20 gr) margarine / vegan butter
- 2.8 oz (80 gr) unsweetened apple juice
- For decoration: brown sugar, cinnamon powder, icing sugar, chopped nuts
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 F / 180 C
- Cut half of the apple into small pieces and blend the other half into a sauce
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients first, then add the apple juice, the margarine (or vegan butter), the apple sauce and carefully whisk them all together until you get a smooth batter
- Add the apple pieces and incorporate them into the batter
- Pour the batter into the donut molds (this quantity will make 6 donuts) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven
- Once out of the oven, let the donuts cool down and then remove them carefully from the molds
- Coat them with a mix of brown sugar (1 tbsp) and cinnamon powder (1/2 tsp) or mix 1 tbsp of icing sugar and a little bit of non-dairy milk, adding a bit at a time until you have a semiliquid mix. Deep the donut into the mix and sprinkle some chopped almonds or other nuts on top