Hello my sweeties, how have you been doing!
How was your summer? I hope it’s been awesome and that you had the chance to take some days off and leave the daily life madness behind!
My sweetheart and I gifted ourselves with a last minute getaway to nothern Tuscany, on the hills, not too far from Vinci, Leonardo’s hometown. And I can only warmly recommend to visit there if you can: beautiful lanscapes, great food and always such a warm hospitality!
It was a restoring getaway, the heat in town was unbearable, which in fact added to my work related weariness, left me all summer with little energy for testing new recipes and writing down new blog posts. SO sorry!
Which is why, as soon as the air got finally cooler in town, with that lovely Fall vibe, I finally switched the oven on again to bake this gluten free yeast free sage focaccia, made with a homemade gluten free flour blend.
The idea for this gluten free focaccia comes from a recipe from my childhood: I still remember my grandma taking that sage focaccia out of the oven, the herb scent mixed with that of the freshly baked bread filling the kitchen and the whole house! Mmmmm!
And making this gluten free version is easy, quick and you will get a soft and savory focaccia in less than an hour!
It is perfect when still warm and great cut into small pieces and served for a happy hour!
This gluten free focaccia will last soft 2-3 days, if kept in a well sealed container and in case by then you still have some left and it’s getting a bit dry, you can still make breadcrumbs and croutons with it!
So, I hope you will enjoy this recipe, please let me know what you think of it and don’t forget to tag me @sweetsensitivefree on Instragram if you make this or any of my recipes!
Soft Sage Focaccia | Gluten free * Yeast free * Vegan
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds + 10 tbsp water
- 200 gr gluten free sorghum flour
- 180 gr gluten free brown rice flour
- 120 gr potato or other gluten free starch
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 420 gr water
- 10 leaves of fresh sage + more for decoration (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C / 360 F
- Mix the ground flax seeds with 10 tbsp of water and let sit in the fridge for 10 minutes or until it becomes gel-ish
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix well: flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and ground fresh sage
- Add the water and the oil and carefully incorporate all the ingredients
- Add the flaxseed gel, incorporating it to the batter with a spatula
- Pour the batter into a baking pan (either greased with oil or covered in parchement paper), until it's evenly coated, more or less an inch thick
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with olive oil and decorate with ground or whole sage leaves (optional)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, checking it's cooked with a toothpick: when it comes out dry the focaccia is ready
- Let cool down for 10 minutes and enjoy still warm!