In my endless experiments with naturally gluten free flours (as in, no store bought flour blends), improving and varying my bread recipes has become pretty much a mission for me.
So I’m pretty happy that after several attempts I have finally managed to make a soft gluten free yeast free bread too and I can share it with you, gluten and yeast sensitive fellows! *fist bump*
The texture of this bread reminds me of the focaccia-bread that my mom and my grandma used to bake when I was a kid, rich and soft inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. And oh the smell of baked bread right out of the oven, all around the house, I just couldn’t wait to cut a slice for myself. Even though I ended up burning my mouth every time. SO worth it though.
Same happens with this gluten and yeast free bread loaf. In fact, the other day I had to leave a not on top, saying “do not cut the bread, I have to take the photos first!”. Because I know my sweetheart all too well.
Besides the brown rice flour, I have used quinoa and amaranth flours (you can replace them both with buckwheat flour if you want), rich in fibers, protein and minerals.
Being it yeast free, no leavening is needed, because the cream of tartar and the baking soda will activate while the bread is baking. I mean, isn’t this awesome!? It sure is because it means that in just one hour your bread will be ready to be enjoyed both with savory foods and jams or spreads! *fist bumps again*
Also, this bread is sliiightly moist inside, which will help to keep it soft for 2 to 3 days, if kept well sealed in a bag.
I have also made burger buns with this batter, following the precedure I’ve shown you in this post and they came out great!
So, I hope you will try and enjoy this gluten and yeast free recipe and if you make it, don’t forget to tag @sweetsensitivefree on Instagram to be featured in my IG stories!
Watch the video recipe 😉
Soft Gluten free + Yeast free Bread | Vegan + Homemade flour blend
- 100 gr gluten free quinoa flour *
- 100 gr gluten free amaranth flour *
- 180 gr gluten free brown rice flour
- 120 gr gluten free potato (or other) starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 420 gr water
- 2 tbsp extravirgin olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° C / 350 F
- Mix the ground flax seeds and the 6 tbsp of water and let rest for a few minutes
- In a bowl mix well all the flours, starch, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt
- In another bowl mix the water and the olive oil and add it to the other bowl, carefully mixing and incorporating all the ingredients until you have a smooth and uniform batter (no, you won't get a dough that can be kneaded, but a semi-liquid batter, so don't panic!)
- Incorporate the flaxseed "gel" to the batter
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan, previously greased with olive oil or covered with parchment paper, sprinkle some seeds on top (if you like them) and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, depending on your oven
- Once out of the oven, let it cool down before slicing it 🙂