This gluten free chocolate chip bread took a few tries and some major fails with the leavening process, but eventually everything worked out great and I can finally share the recipe with you!
The final result is a high, soft, bread-y loaf, not too sweet, filled with crunchy chocolate chunks and completed by a hint of orange flavour.
The taste of this gluten free chocolate chunk loaf is everything.
And it’s also vegan, which makes it even more allergy-friendly as no dairy or eggs are involved 😉
Keep scrolling for the recipe and let me know if you try it!
And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and show me your beautiful creations!
Super Easy Chocolate Chip Bread | Gluten free * Vegan
- 370 gr gluten free brown rice flour
- 130 gr gluten free (potato) starch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 40 gr (brown) sugar
- gluten free vegan dry active yeast (doses depend on your yeast package instrucrions: the amount of yeast has to work for 500 gr flours)
- grated zest of half an orange
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed oil
- 370 gr lukewarm water
- 100 gr dairy/gluten free dark chocolate (you can use chocolate chips, but using chunks from a chocolate bar give a crunchier feel)
- In a bowl add the brown rice flour, the starch, cream of tartar, baking soda, sugar, orange zest, yeast and mix well
- In another bowl add the lukewearm water, the oil and the ground flax seed, mix well and power the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients
- Mix everything thoroughly, add the salt and keep stirring and mixing for 2-3 minutes
- Add the chocolate chips (or cut a chocolate bar into small irregular chunks, they will give a crunchier feel to the bread) and incorporate them into the batter
- Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper, pour the bread butter in the pan and cover it with a small towel, letting it rest for 1 hour at room temperature
- Pre-heat the oven at 200° C / 400 F
- Before baking, add more chocolate chunks/chips on top
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200° C / 400 F, then lower the oven temperature to 180° C / 360 F and let the chocolate bread bake for another 20-25 minutes
- Once out of the oven, let it cool down for 10-15 minutes before slicing and store it in an airtight container to keep is soft up to 2-3 days
- When the bread gets a bit dry, you can warm it a couple minutes in the oven/microwave and it will be soft again