These gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes with coffee frosting are easy and quick to make from scratch! The mocha cream frosting on top is dairy free and soy free too!
Looking for a scrumptious, comforting and creamy treat? Look no further! These chocolate cupcakes with coffee frosting are exactly what you need!
And these moist chocolate cupcakes are also:
- GLUTEN FREE
- DAIRY FREE
- SOY FREE
- WITHOUT BUTTERMILK
They are so easy to make at home and the coffee icing is SO SO delicious and such a perfect pairing with chocolate.
How to make these gluten free dairy free chocolate cupcakes
- Mix together all the dry ingredients
- Add the dairy free milk and the oil and mix well
- At this point you can add the whipped aquafaba (you can find the recipe HERE)
OR - alternatively - add 1 and half tablespoons of ground flaxseed previously mixed with 5 tablespoons of water (in this case you will need to add another 40-50 gr of vegan milk to the batter)
- Mix everything and fill the cupcake molds
- Bake them for 15-20 minutes
- Let them cool down, then make a small hole in the cupcakes and fill and top them with the vegan coffee frosting
- Dust with cocoa powder for extra taste!
Find the full recipe for these vegan gluten free cupcakes down below, but don't miss the Tips and Substitutions!
Tips and Substitutions
Absolutely, you can use neutral flours like sorghum and millet, or almond too. You could also use buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa, which have a stronger flavour though (chocolate quinoa cupcakes are higher in protein!).
If you don't want or can't use potato starch, you can use corn, rice, tapioca or arrowroot starches aswell.
You could replace the brown rice flour with almond flour (which is naturally sweeter) and replace the aquafaba (or the flax seed mix) with apple sauce.
Apple sauce would work both as a binder and a natural sweetener.
These vegan gluten free chocolate cupcakes with coffee frosting are a perfect dessert and a great treat for gatherings and birthdays too!
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here! And a 5 star rating if you have loved it would help me grow the blog 😉
For all the updates, follow me on Facebook and Pinterest and tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
📖 Full Recipe
Gluten free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting
For 6 cupcakes
- 100 gr gluten free brown rice flour
- 40 gr gluten free (potato) starch
- 50 gr brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
- 70 gr gluten free plant based milk (40-50 gr more if you use the flaxseed mix in place of the aquafaba)
- 20 gr sunflower seed oil
- 60 gr whipped aquafaba (check the post for the direct link to the recipe)
- Alternative to Aquafaba: 1,5 tablespoons of ground flax seeds mixed with 5 tablespoons water
For the coffee frosting
- 320 gr unsalted cashews
- 60 gr gluten free plant based milk
- 120 gr espresso coffee
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon coffee powder (optional)
- vanilla extract to taste
- cocoa powder for dusting
For the Cupcakes
- Pre-heat your oven at 320° F / 160° C
- Mix together all the dry ingredients
- Add the plant based milk and the oil
- Incorporate the whipped aquafaba (or alternatively the flaxseed mix: in this case remember to add 40-50 gr of plant based milk)
- Fill the cupcake molds (these doses will make 6 cupcakes)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean
- Once ready, let them cool down for a while, then with the help of an apple-corer (or simply by lightly pushing down with the back of a wooden spoon) dig a small hole at the center of each cupcake
- Fill and top them with the vegan coffee cream
- Add a dusting of cocoa on top and serve!