These soft gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes are topped with a delicious orange frosting made without artificial coloring!
They are scrumptious and make a great gluten free Halloween treat too!
I may or may not have already told you about how I'm kind of obsessed with anything chocolate and orange. And these gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with orange frosting, confirm it. Yet again, that is.
Two things I absolutely love about this recipe.
These gluten free vegan cupcakes are very chocolate-y and soft, the almond flour gives them such a lovely texture and the margarine makes them moist, you just want to keep biting into them. Like, pretty much stuffing your face with no regrets.
Secondly, the frosting.
When I decided to experiment with this recipe, I for sure knew this orange vegan frosting had to be made with NO artificial food coloring, I wanted it to be natural and healthy!
I first tried using only fresh orange juice, but the color was a bit too pale for my taste.
Then one day I found a bottle of organic carrot juice staring at me from its shelf at the grocery store, with such an intense orange color and I thought: you, my dear, are exactly what I was looking for.
You can also use a store-bought (better if organic) multivitamin juice or if you are lucky enough to own a juicer, you can definitely make your own healthy fruit juice mix!
How to make gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting
Making these dairy free cupcakes is super easy
- Make the flax egg
- Combine the dry ingredients
- Add the liquids, the flax egg and mix well
- Pour the batter in the cupcake tins
- Bake and once ready let the cupcakes cool completely
- In a blender make the orange frosting and decorate the chocolate cupcakes
These are great all year round, but they definitely make the perfect gluten free Halloween cupcakes too!
Make them with the kids and have fun decoratin them as you like!
With this simple gluten free cupcake recipe you will make delicious gluten free Halloween treats that everyone will love!
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here!
And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
P.S. Want more orange and chocolate? Check out this gluten free vegan Glazed Bundt Cake!
Gluten free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Naturally Orange Frosting
For the cupcakes (6)
- 3 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 9 tablespoon water
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) gluten free almond flour (or brown rice flour)
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) gluten free potato starch (or other gluten free starch)
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) brown sugar
- 1.7 oz (50 gr) unsweetened apple juice (or gluten free vegan milk)
- 1 oz (30 gr) margarine / vegan butter (or seed oil)
For the frosting
- 5.6 oz (160 gr) soaked/boiled cashwes
- 1.7 oz (50 gr) carrot juice
- 1 oz (30 gr) orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (or other sweetener)
- vanilla extract
For the decoration
- dairy free dark chocolate
- orange zest
- Boil the cashews for 10 minutes (or let them soak in advance for a few hours), rinse and drain them and let them cool down
- Pre-heat the oven at 350° F / 180 C
- Mix the ground flax seed, the water and refrigerate for 5 minutes
- For the cupcakes: in a bowl mix the dry ingredients then add apple juice, margarine and the flaxseed mix and whisk carefully
- Pour the batter into the cupcake molds and bake for 15-20 minutes
- In a blender mix all the ingredients for the frosting, adjusting the amount of vanilla and sweetener to your liking
- Once baked, let the cupcakes cool down completely, add the frosting on top and decorate with grated dark chocolate and orange zest (or you can get creative if you're making them for Halloween!)