I may or may not have already told you about how I’m kind of obsessed with anything chocolate and orange. And these gluten free, vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with a citrus fruit-y frosting, confirm it. Yet again, that is.
Two things I absolutely love about this recipe.
The cupcakes are very chocolate-y and soft, the almond flour gives them such a lovely texture and the margarine makes them moist, you just want to keep biting into them. Like, pretty much stuffing your face with no regrets.
Secondly, the frosting.
When I decided to experiment with this recipe, I for sure knew the orange frosting had to be made with NO artificial food coloring, I wanted it to be as natural and healthy as possible.
I first tried using only fresh orange juice, but the color was a bit too pale for my taste.
Then one day I found a bottle of organic carrot juice staring at me from its shelf at the grocery store, with such an intense orange color and I thought: you, my dear, are exactly what I was looking for.
I brought it home, mixed it with freshly squeezed orange and lemon juice, blended it with the cashews and was so much happier with the result!
You can also use a store-bought (better if organic) multivitamin juice or if you are lucky enough to own a juicer, you can definitely make your own healthy fruit juice mix.
So, let me know if you try the recipe!
With some themed decorations, these chocolate cupcakes can be perfect for Halloween too, so that kids (ok ok, grown-ups too) suffering from gluten / dairy / egg sensitivity can have their chocolate treat too 😉
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 9 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp margarine / vegan butter
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) gluten free almond flour
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) gluten free potato starch (or other starch)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2.5 oz (70 gr) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.7 oz (50 gr) unsweetened apple juice
- 1 oz (30 gr) margarine / vegan butter
- 5.6 oz (160 gr) soaked/boiled cashwes
- 1.7 oz (50 gr) carrot juice
- 1 oz (30 gr) orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (or other sweetener)
- vanilla extract
- dairy free dark chocolate
- orange zest
Boil the cashews for 10 minutes (or let them soak in advance for a few hours), rinse and drain them and let them cool down
Pre-heat the oven at 350° F / 180 C
Mix the ground flax seed, the water, 1 tbsp of margarine and refrigerate for 5 minutes
For the cupcakes: in a bowl mix the dry ingredients then add apple and lemon juice, margarine and the flaxseed mix and whisk carefully
Pour the batter into the cupcake molds and bake for 15-20 minutes
In a blender mix all the ingredients for the frosting, adjusting the amount of vanilla and sweetener to your liking
Once baked, let the cupcakes cool down completely, add the frosting on top and decorate with grated dark chocolate and orange zest (or you can get creative if you're making them for Halloween!)
- You won't taste the coffee in the cupcakes, it only helps to enhance the taste of chocolate. If you are making these for kids (or for caffeine sensitive people like me) use decaf coffee powder