scroll down for the recipe
I’ve been wanting to make a layered cake for so long and finally decided that with Valentine’s / Galentine’s / Friend’s / Anything You Want to Celebrate’s Day coming up, the time was right to finally bake this soft, moist chocolate & coffee cake! And it’s completely gluten free and vegan too!
Also, my birthday is pretty close too, so another reason to bake a chocolate cake! Yes! … as if one needed more excuses, yeah!
Though seriously, you need to bake this one. The almond flour gives it such a lovely texture and the melted chocolate and the apple sauce make the cake moist and soft.
And then comes the vegan coffee cream filling and frosting, which is very similar to the one I shared in this post, it’s super easy and quick to make and OH so versatile to decorate your favourite desserts (see these cocoa cupcakes for some inspo, my friend)
This cake is made to be shared with your loved ones, being it a romantic occasion, a birthday party or a dinner with family and friends, everyone will love it and won’t notice or complain it is vegan and gluten free too!
Let me know if you make it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @sweetsensitivefree !
I love seeing your creations!
Soft and Moist Chocolate & Coffee Cake | Gluten free * Vegan
This gluten free and completely vegan chocolate and coffee cake is just so soft and moist and the coffee filling and frosting add such a creamy texture to it you won’t be able to stop diving into it!
For the cake batter (7 inch round pan)
- 150 gr // 5.3 oz gluten free almond flour
- 150 gr // 5.3 oz gluten free brown rice flour
- 120 gr // 4.2 oz gluten free potato starch
- 2 tsp cream of tartar ((it can be replaced with 2 tsp of baking powder))
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp (decaf) coffee powder
- 90 gr // 3.1 oz brown sugar
- 60 gr // 2.1 oz seed oil
- 3 tbsp apple sauce ((it can be replaced with 2 eggs))
- 240 gr // 8.4 oz rice milk (or other gluten free vegan milk)
- 100 gr // 3.5 oz dairy free dark chocolate ((+ more for decoration))
For the coffee cream
- 320 gr // 11.3 oz boiled/soaked unsalted cashews
- 180 gr // 6.3 oz (decaf) espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp (or more, to taste) icing sugar (or other sweetener)
- vanilla extract
For the coffee cream
Brew some espresso coffee and let it cool down
In a blender add cashews, coffee, until you have a smooth, “spread-able” cream, then add the sugar (or other sweetener) and the vanilla extract, adjusting them to your own taste
For the cake batter
Pre-heat the oven at 180° C / 360 F
In a bowl add the brown sugar, the apple sauce (or the eggs) and the seed oil and mix (better if with an electric whisk) for a minute, then with a spatula incorporate the melted chocolate to the batter and set aside
- In another bowl mix flours, starch, cream of tartar (or baking powder), baking soda and coffee powder
Add the milk to the dry ingredients, mix well then add the chocolate batter and incorporate well
Pour the batter into a well greased baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes (after 25-30 minutes check the cake by inserting a toothpick, when it comes out dry the cake is ready)
Once baked, let the cake cool down completely before removing it from the pan and slicing it into two discs
Set the first disc on a serving plate, spread a layer of coffee cream and grate some dark chocolate on top
Add the second cake disc, spread the coffee cream and grate some more dark chocolate on top.
Dive into it and enjoy!