I’ve actually made this gluten free vegan pastry cream many times before and I don’t really know why it took me so long to share it. Sorry!
This eggless pastry cream is very easy to make, you only need to be a bit careful while cooking it!
It is very versatile, it can be used in so many desserts, making allergy friendly life much sweeter and tastier.
Keep scrolling for a few tips!
What’s the best plant based milk for the vegan pastry cream?
I’ve made it with rice milk and soy milk and they both work well in the recipe.
Soy milk is a bit better, as its proteins help thicken the cream
Can I use white rice flour for this recipe?
I wouldn’d advice it, white rice flour gives the cream a slightly transparent, unappetizing look and texture.
Gluten free starch makes the pastry cream smoother and more uniform.
What do I do if some clumps form in the pastry cream?
For a smooth vegan pastry cream you can “sift” it.
Pour the cream in a sifter (better if it’s a fine mesh one) and press the cream through it with a spatula.
Can I avoid using the turmeric?
Absolutely! In this recipe turmeric is only used to add the yellow color typical of traditional pastry cream.
If you decide to add it, start with a very small pinch, stir and taste. If you add too much it changes the cream’s taste.
I hope you will enjoy this eggless and dairy free cream!
If you make this recipe or have questions, leave me a comment down here!
And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes! I absolutely LOVE to see what you make and share it in my stories!
Gluten free Vegan Pastry Cream
- 50 gr margarine/vegan butter
- 50 gr gluten free potato starch (or other gf starches)
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod (or 1 tbsp of vanilla extract)
- zest of half a lemon (3-4 large strips, not grated)
- pinch of turmeric powder (optional, only for coloring)
- 500 gr plant base, gluten free milk
- place a small non sticking saucepan over low heat, add the margarine/vegan butter and let it melt, then add the gluten free starch and quickly stir everything together with a whisk or spoon, in order to avoid clumps
- add a small part of the plant based milk and keep whisking the mix
- add the remaining milk, keep whisking vigorously to avoid clumps
- add the sugar (start with 2 spoons, taste it before adding a third spoon)
- add the lemon zest, vanilla and turmeric (this one is optional)
- keep whisking, it will take a good 10 minutes before the cream thickens
- once you have a thick and smooth pastry cream, remove from stove and cover with cling film (also directly on the cream) to avoid the surface to dry
- let it cool down before using it in other desserts