In my recent experiments with savory gluten-free recipes I had realized that breadcrumbs often come in handy, like for my baked veggie croquettes. I had found something similiar at a grocery store, though I wasn’t too enthusiastic about it, but then the other day, while I was baking some focaccia, I thought why not use it to make breadcrumbs to store in the freezer? But to do so I should be slicing the focaccia into pieces and toast them in a pan first, which would mean I can make me some useful croutons too.
And at that point I felt incredibly smart you know, I mean so much genius in just a few seconds.
*please insert sarcasm here*
Yeah. Anyway, for the croutons:
- slice the bread or focaccia into small squares
- heat a pan adding a tablespoon of olive oil (or any other veg oil of your liking), add the bread pieces and whisk them
- add the herbs and spices you prefer (I especially like ground pepper and rosemary), stir them from time to time and let the croutons get all nicely golden and crunchy
- enjoy them in a salad or a comforting pureed soupe ;)And for the breadcrumbs:
- let the croutons cool down
- grind them in a blender until you get the breadcrumbs of the size you prefer
- you can store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
So, I hope this post was helpful! It really takes little time and effort and you can always count on your homemade provision of breadcrumbs or croutons 😉