INGREDIENTS (10-12 tarts)
- 2,5 tbsp ground flaxseed + 8 tbsp water
- 200 gr / 7 oz brown rice flour
- 100 gr / 3.5 oz (potato) starch
- 70 gr / 2.4 oz brown sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar + 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 120 gr / 4.2 oz vegan butter
- 2 tbsp rhum or other liqueur
- gluten/dairy-free chocolate spread
- chopped almonds
Ready in: 2 hours
These scrumptious creamy chocolate tarts have been a real unexpected hit!
After succeeding in making my gluten/dairy/egg-free version of the Italian “kissing” cookies Baci di Dama, I thought maybe I could use a similar dough to make mini tarts, or actually I was kind of obsessing over making them with chocolate and pear, because I LOVE pear and chocolate together. And I know I’m not alone here.
I brought them to a couple of friends too, my personal taste-testers you know, and the verdict was: they’re not good, they’re reaaally good! You really can’t tell they’re free-from all that stuff!
And I honestly couldn’t get a better compliment for my cooking expertiments
So, here’s the recipe:
- as per usual, mix flaxseed and water first (= egg replacer) and let it rest a few minutes
- in a bowl mix flours, sugar, cream of tartar + baking soda and a pinch of salt
- then add the vegan butter (at room temperature), the flax-egg and the liqueur
- start by mixing all the ingredients in the bowl with a spoon, then as they start to become a crumble, move them on a board and knead the dough until it becomes firm. I know at first it won’t seem to work, but have faith and keep kneading 😉
- shape it into a “ball”, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour
- pre-heat the oven at 160°C / 320°F
- now take a piece of parchment paper and roll the dough out over it, then cut the dough into pieces to put into the tart molds, leaving a hollow in the center where you will put the filling. The dough can break sometimes, but don’t worry, you can put the pieces into the molds and push them together with your fingers, the final result will be the same
- fill the tarts with the chocolate spread, add a slice of pear (gently pushing it into the filling) and chopped almonds or other nuts of your choice, on top
- into the oven for 25-30 minutes
- once baked, let them cool down before removing them from the molds
Enjoy! And let me know what you think of these and what other types of fillings you like in tarts!