After making my lemon waffles with Spring fruit compote the other day, I had some cherries left and I also happened to have some yogurt to use up, so I decided that since I wanted something yummy for Sunday breakfast, baking a cherry yogurt loaf cake was just what had to be done!
The result has been pretty good, the yogurt makes the cake soft and it definitely helps a lot with the texture, making it non crumbl-y, which as you know is always a risk you run when it comes to gluten free baking (and vegan too).
The cherry yogurt also gives a unique taste, the cherries help to keep the cake moist and the lemon glaze adds that hint of sour that I just LOVE!
So I hope you will give this loaf cake a try, you obviously can have some fun experimenting with the yogurt and fruits you like, using what the season has to offer now, like all those juicy peaches and apricots! Mmmmm! What’s your favourite?
Let me know what you think in the comments and don’t forget to follow my Facebook page and Instagram/Twitter profiles for updates!
Cherry Yogurt Loaf Cake | Gluten free * Dairy free * Egg free
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 9 tbsp water
- 1 oz seed oil [30 gr]
- 3.5 oz brown sugar [100 gr]
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4.4 oz dairy free cherry yogurt [125 gr]
- 7 oz brown rice flour [200 gr]
- 2.8 oz gluten free potato starch [80 gr]
- 3.5 oz gluten free / dairy free milk [100 gr]
- 1.7 oz icing sugar [50 gr]
- juice of a lemon
- pitted cherries
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C / 350° F
- Mix the ground flaxseed with water and let it rest until it gelifies
- In a bowl mix the flax gel with the seed oil and the sugar
- Add the flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, yogurt and milk and mix well until you have a smooth batter
- You can add pitted cherries to the batter or just us them for decoration
- Pour the batter in a loaf baking pan (greased or covered with baking paper) and decorate with the pitted cherries
- Bake for 25/30 minutes
- Once out of the oven, let the cake cool down completely
- Mix the icing sugar with the juice of a lemon and glaze the cake as you like